February 07, 2006

Good Bye My Nurses



I had nursing graduating students last 2004 and as part of their final oral exam in Speech 1, I assigned one word for each of them. The instruction is to expound said word and link it to friendship, love, communication and respect.

During our last meeting, I synthesized all words in boldface in this text and gave this farewell speech:

Most concepts represent an ideology. They are a system of beliefs that guides all of us. In this world, some consider themselves as superior than others. Some tend to criticize and create stereotypes about those who differ from them or those who do not support their current stature. There is, hence, a dichotomy or two things put in direct clash such as feminism vs. idea of masculinity. Usually, if we do not belong to the upper or dominant class, we find racism, free trade, privatization, armchair leadership, hierarchy, and capitalism as unfair and absurd. Because these are mechanisms used by the elite to perpetuate themselves in power.

As the so-called “inferiors,” some clamor for social justice and political correctness, some form labor unions and sometimes stage a parliamentary of the street, when they fail to attain their goals in the portals of Congress. If for example, our legislature creates a law prohibiting nursing graduates to leave the country in the next five years, I think you will surely join Anakbayan or Sanlakas to protest and air your grievances. You will use all your access to information and communications technology and practice media sensationalism to get full coverage of the restraints imposed to citizens with inherent rights in a democracy such as right to abode and right to earn a living. You will dissent because the law tramples upon your sovereignty as free individual. This is where we can test your citizenship or love and responsibility to your country.

What will now happen to some of your hedonistic desires? What will happen to the pleasure you derive from your fetishism for imported brands having been influenced by America’s cultural imperialism, of course, the thrill of snow, Washington apples, California oranges, four seasons, among other abundant resources of the First World. Some will miss the wonders of genetic engineering, the opportunity to have a photo-op with Dolly. You will surely miss the splendor and grandeur of cities exemplifying urban renewal – the Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, etc. Instead of singing “London Bridge is Falling Down,” you will sadly chant “Dandansoy.”

The desperate might be involved in religious fanaticism. They will raise their hands and say, “Alleluia, bring me to America!” Or some will hunt for lovers in the Internet, create a virtual reality so that their dream to wear Trench coats and turtle necks will finally happen. Some will join Extra Challenge, a Philippine reality TV program to gain attention: Join the contest of eating the most number of cotton balls, the first to fill a blood bag, the fastest to insert intravenous needles, and the wittiest in humoring a CI.

Ah…these are products of my imagination. Perhaps, these are also my sad sentiments because some of the best minds of the country will leave and serve other nations instead. But what can I do? The basic instinct of man is survival. The country’s fiscal crisis is a strong wind blowing your sails to farther but safer direction.

My plea: Do not forget your indigenous culture nor have a turncoatism from our culture to the more liberal and Westernized way of life. I’m sure you won’t because I know you are intelligent Filipinos who will be Filipinos across space and time. I know that in your veins will still run the Filipino blood because you are not cowards who practice escapist attitude by abandoning their native land and ethnicity literally and figuratively just because your country has gargantuan problems and there is a better life abroad. And I think my role as teacher who actualizes a sense of academic freedom so that discussions about theories and concepts and sometimes about spices of life become more student-centered and inspirational respectively.

I must say that this semester is my happiest. I had a lot of record-breakers. For the first time of my life, I gave a perfect score for a student’s Speech 1 performance. My friends tell me that perhaps, my standard is getting low, I’m getting old or I’m no longer the icon of a “smiling terror.”

I opposed all of them. I did not have a hard time this semester and I gave high grades in your oral exams because you are good, determined and I appreciate your unity as a class. This is the kind of attitude we need in this country. I am sad in a way because other countries will directly benefit from your expertise. I can’t criticize you for that because I have a plan myself to work abroad especially that opportunities have begun to knock. I hope we will all be together in going back to our home – the Philippines.

For those whom I have hurt because of my inevitable bitchiness, please accept my sincerest apologies. It was never meant to malign you but to remind you of certain obligations that are sometimes neglected in the pursuit of so many things. As professionals, our real meaning does not lie on how many endeavors we have accomplished but on how we have done each endeavor properly.

For those I failed to greet or give my smile while looking at me on the corridors, pardon my “kasungitan.” Honestly, I am a bit anti-social. I have a small circle of friends NOT because I am picky or I hold myself highly. I’m simply not expressive but ask my friends or read my friendster testimonials, most negative impressions do not hold water. I am someone who will laugh and make fun out of the simplest and easiest things on Earth. I have small dreams and funny perks. I collect table napkins with the company logo, I am a couch potato who enjoys Mulamin very much. I am a chocolate addict until my laryngologist prohibited me from eating much of it.

In essence, what we see in a person is not the person itself. He or she could be a social construction or how the society wants that person to be. Friendship, love, and communication are then very essential since they bring out ones true worth. Wherever or whatever you are in the future remember that good communication will be your best tool to forge harmonious relationships.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home