January 12, 2006

All in the Name of Jang Geum


Last night at 9:45pm I had to cut my conversation with a very close female friend because I had to rush home. Nature was not calling me nor was there any emergency. But like an instinct I just knew that I have to be seated in front of the TV at exactly 10pm. Why?

(Sing) Sa isang sulok ng langit ko matatagpuan… Yes, my world stops as GMA-7’s “Jewel in the Palace”unravels on Philippine television. It features Jang-Geum, a servant from the kitchen of a Korean Palace of the Chosun Dynasty more than 500 years ago.

I am always amazed by their culinary expertise, the power struggle, and the historical locale of the series. I had my interests in it, as I love to cook, study power relations, and have an odyssey through time to see different cultures.

In fact when I spent my Christmas break with my family in Pangasinan, I tried some of her techniques. Aside from putting lemon grass I peeled a pear, removed its seeds and placed it on a beef dish and voila! – its soup, more than ever, tasted superbly. No MSG or other spices needed.

I think one selling point of the series used the famous cliché, “A way to a man’s heart is through the stomach.” Who would not be amazed by the preparation of the dishes – the steps and creative presentation using a number of plates and bowls, colors, and herbs?

The historical setting is also very enriching – the colorful hanbok (traditional costumes), elaborate hanok (traditional houses), and the huge urns used to store different condiments and dishes or to ferment kimchi.

I realized that there is so much to learn from the Koreans. As a broadcast major, I envy how they value their history by using it as the context to discuss universal themes on love, jealousy, greed, etc. I wonder if Philippine TV entertainment gurus already thought of doing a Filipino version, not Tagalized, which would tackle the struggle of the Capampangans to preserve their indigenous cuisines from becoming Hispanized or anything around this idea. Or how one Filipina endears a peninsulares by studying the culture of his tongue or the reverse - how she entices a handsome Spaniard through her indigenous dishes!

Lady Choi no matter how devilish her character is still lovable because of her outstanding facial expressions. She is Satan’s alter ego on Earth who makes the lives of Jang-Geum and Lady Han a living hell. This makes the series more interesting because aside from the delight of witnessing ancient chefs, one encounters the human nature to seek and cling on to power. The good-evil conflict as a pervasive theme and the subplot of rivalry in love for one man by two women spiced up what is already very spicy.

Whew! Charles Darwin is right. Evolution is survival of the fittest. But who determines what is fit? Until when can the King who is the epitome of ways of life in his kingdom be inspired by Jang-Geum’s intrinsic goodness? Or will he yield to the pressures from the heroine’s cunning rivals and become a self-centered leader?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home