April 18, 2006

Lenten and Fiddler on the Roof

Thursday

I joined the Visita Iglesia last Maunday Thursday. It was the first time I did so in Manila. It was my way of paying homage for the love and sacrifice of our Redeemer.

9:58 a.m. - FEU Chapel
10:18 - San Sebastian Basilica
10:45 - St. Francis of Asisi Church, Bustillos
10:50 - Church of Sampaloc, Loreto
11:05 - Abbey Church, San Beda College
11:27 - St. Jude Church
11:44 - San Miguel Church
12:02 - Quiapo Church
12:16 - Sta. Cruz Church
1:36 - Manila Cathedral
1:50 - San Agustin Church
2:40 - UST Church
3:07 - Santo Domingo Church
3:25 - Sta. Teresita Chruch, Mayon
3:40 - Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Retiro

We walked our way towards most of the churches under the scorching heat of the sun. I knew the sacrifice was still incomparable to the great love made by our Lord but I had to do it not only to reaffirm my faith but to show Him how I have been appreciating His unconditional love for mankind.

The beauty of the altars was able to reduce my fatigue. I took pictures using my phone. I love the San Agustin Church. Its ceiling is very elaborate. The façade is not as impressive as the Manila Cathedral but when you get in, you will see its magnificence. Sir Joey Tem told me that couples who wish to hold their wedding in this church must prepare half a million pesos and must reserve the venue one year in advance.

I also love the San Sebastian Basilica. If I am not mistaken it has a Byzantine design. I love the fact that the entire basilica is made up of steel. Look intently up and you will see the canopy of paintings.

The only sacrifice we were not able to make is fasting. We had buckets of KFC chicken for lunch. We had halo-halo with ice cream after the visits.

Friday

I did not go out of my apartment. I watched Star Wars from Episode 1 to 6. The first three episodes recently produced by Lucas Film Ltd were good. Thanks to digital technology and special effects. Episodes 4 and 5 were very boring. But perhaps, they already took lauds during their first exhibition. I did not appreciate them most likely because I have been already introduced to the latest film technology. Episode 6 was better. The plot had a greater complexity that could elicit further analysis and entertainment. There were more subplots and twists to expect. Perhaps, George Lucas already got the verve to create a better sci-fi movie. I love the Ewoks!

Star Wars in general is about greed for power. Indeed, a taste of power compels one to preserve and increase it. It compels one to oppose authorities and break norms in the pursuit for change. It is also about patience. Those who rush fall along the way. Too, those who could not let go of their fears are more susceptible to failure. Just like Darth Vader. He was an arrogantly impatient Ani and a fearful husband of Senator Amidala.

Saturday

I did not go out of my apartment again. I almost finished The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I will really synthesize it when I have enough time. I highly recommend this pocketbook.

I watched Fiddler on the Roof. It is a film with a simple presentation but with deep message. Why the title? Standing on the roof requires balance and despite this difficulty, the fiddler still tries to play his instrument. Playing the instrument can mean moving on with life while balancing traditions and inevitable changes.

The story revolves around a milk vendor whose female children violated Jewish traditions of marriage. The first child violated the betrothal with a rich butcher by marrying instead a poor tailor. The second child married a stranger with progressive ideas who was jailed in Siberia after their vow of engagement. She had to leave her family to stay with him. The third child left the family in favor of a man from a different religion.

The father yielded to the free will of her daughters. He set them free. Individual preference catalyzed by love overwhelmed the social constructions and traditions on marriage.

The film ended with the eviction of the Jews in Czarist Russia. This was the retained practice against the Jews. God's chosen people conformed to the eviction than face bloodshed. As a sour-grape, they said they would find a better place for sure.

Lessons I learned:

Avoid precedents to avoid a chain reaction.
Marriage is political. It has socio-economic foundations.
Love transcends class, ideology, and religion.
Free will can defy traditions.

I like the film's message especially the power struggle between the traditions and the impetus for change. I love all about it except the overstretch of certain scenes to suit a musical genre.

Sunday

Happy Easter! I went to Church. Again, I have a fresher and more positive view of life. For each scenario, good or bad, in my life I shall not be bothered but find God's reason for it. Every fall shall be my source of strength. Just like His resurrection, I shall rise above every pain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home