July 17, 2007

Teaching research

This is one of my busiest semesters as a faculty member because of my research classes. I have always wanted to teach one that brings me out of my comfort zone because I have always believed that you grow when you do things greater than you.

I have become wellknown as a speech professor. I love the craft because it is the one that has made me popular in FEU. (Popular? or so I thought he he). While speech is my cup of tea, it has to the point that I want to try another cup and find out whether I'll do well with it.

Students are just introduced to research making. I had to spoon-feed them in certain aspects because some of them are not used to reading. I do not want to get mad at them because I want them to love research the same way I fell in love with it when I met Dr. Lourdes Portus, a very good research professor in UP. She's my idol together with Prof. Jo Santos, the Filipino expert in political economy of communication.

One major problem that my students are encountering now is finding the angle or research gap of their study. I have turned down so many research problems not only because there is nothing "fresher" about them. So hackneyed because answers to them can be easily found in secondary data. I hope I can inspire to read, read, and read because this is the only way to get better perspectives in their research undertaking.

This blog is a park from the monotony of checking the work of my students. I get to have a buffer. Maybe, a lot of other bloggers feel the same way. That's why Ada and Ian are doing a research on blogging.

So far, I have very good and favorite topics: Machinema by Paolo Lualhati who is, by the way, now in the US for a short film course. His is not a perception or effects study. I also like those that talk about the "construction" of identities given my research works on gender and communication.

I want to bastardize (sana) some proposed topics that are really out of this world. But since I am a teacher who should protect my students' integrity, "silence shall be the best answer" (Dalai Lama).

4 Comments:

Blogger niknok said...

Hi sir Joeven! :) I was surprised when Jamie (mangaliman) told me u were their research prof! Well, I think u'll make a good prof naman! :) We also did a research on Blogging last year, but it wasn't really good though. :)

anyway, goodluck on ur new venture! :)

4:59 PM  
Blogger The Juz said...

sir, where can we (ORADECKERS) find your research about gender and communications?

12:58 PM  
Blogger JOEVEN said...

Hi Niknok,

I'm asking my students to use researches of previous students for their RRL. I think one group has documented your team's work. So how's life?

Juz,

It is now published at the FEU Communication Journal entitled, "When dad becomes mom: communication of househusbands with breadwinner wives." I can lend you my thesis if you want entitled, "Political economic analysis of the visual prostitution of women in Idol Ko si Kap and Lagot Ka...Isusumbong Kita!"

5:00 PM  
Blogger Joyce Hernandez said...

Hey sir!ΓΌ

I never really had the privilege of being in even just one of your class. But I heard a great deal about you. From my former classmates and yor colleagues alike.

Research is one class that gets taken for granted w/c is sad I know because not only it is supposed to be a big factor for getting seniors' diplomas it also teaches student a lot about how to be inquisitive. Yet, speaking like a true communications major, plays and directing and productions and speech classes are more fun.

I guess what I really wanted to say was don't feel down when your students fail to give you what you expect of them, it's not a shortcoming on your part. I guess that's just how most communications students are wired. =)

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home